Sunday, October 23, 2016

IB Film II Production Check

IB Film Production Check

In terms of a personal reflection, I am beginning to get excited for this film because I can definitely see it taking shape in a more real light. Pranava and Shay have revised the script for this portion of the work, while I have started focusing on my choices and decisions as director. By choosing the role of director, much of the physical production resides within my area of knowledge. 
As I have mentioned before, Shay is mainly focused on sound mixing and Sound Designing. Pranava has taken on the role of Cinematographer, while I have shifted to Director. I have done some research into th requirements for the role of director and found a helpful outline which can be found below.

http://annafilmib.blogspot.com/2013/04/film-crew-roles-mind-map-example.html
We have chosen actors for our film, which is exciting because we can now visualize the dialogue and the cinematic elements of the film in accordance with those playing the roles. The main female protagonist, June, will be portrayed by Emily Joyce. The primary male protagonist, Jonah, will be portrayed by Brandon Silverman. Our actors are a senior and a junior, respectively, and we will have to be careful to maneuver around their schedules. June's mother is the only other major role, which will either be played by myself or by my mother, Laura Duda. 

Additionally, I have also scouted for locations. We will be filming inside of the school, in the parking lot of the school, in my car, in a bowling alley, and in the interior of my house and Shay's. I have begun to fill out Scouting Location forms and releases which are attached in my sketchbook. In terms of costumes and props, I am interested in having a certain sense of continuity among the characters in terms of what they wear. I want Emily to be dressed primarily in neutrals but also be wearing some sort of red in every scene, whether it be her shoes, her shirt, or a jacket.

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/blouses/notably-knowledgeable-top
A lot of times, red is stereotyped as representing lust, but I think that in this case, red represents desire, not for another human being, but for June's own future. 
For Jonah, I definitely want a sense of contrast between the two so I am tempted to put him in green for at least one of the scenes. However, I also want to subvert the usual expectation of the male protagonist so I also want him to be primarily in gray, which allows June to take up more of the screen and emphasizes our focus on her characterization. Additionally, one of the conflicts that drives Jonah is his insecurity with his body and with the color gray, we are able to portray this desire to go unnoticed.
For props, we will need to have a laptop for June and Jonah to type on, which we can use mine for. Additionally, we need place settings for the dinner scene which I have at my house.
For our technical needs, we will obviously need to use a tripod and a camera, while Shay will be designating our need of microphones. I am also interested in using the camera track slider which I used last year while I was involved in Monica Kavathekar's film.
As for production scheduling, we are looking to complete production within the next couple weeks in order to leave plenty of room for post production. I am communicating with all of the crew to decipher a couple of dates that work best for everyone. We will wrap before December 9th for a variety of reasons including the weather and the timeline. 

No comments:

Post a Comment