Sunday, September 25, 2016

Production Portfolio Checkpoint 1

Pitch and Approval
For the production of our film, I am planning to work with Shay and Pranava. Both Pranava and myself are interested in the thematic intricacies of the human experience, while Shay is interested in the concept of beauty. We felt as though these elements could be fluidly combined as the concept of beauty plays a strong role in the human experience. In terms of the plot of our film, we were thinking of following two separate characters in their daily lives and examining the shared elements and the unique elements of the human experience. In order to do this, we will need to show them addressing larger and more encompassing issues that intrude into everyone's world, which is where we incorporate the idea of beauty and beauty standards. We could include shots that are similar and create a sense of parallelism for the shared components. For the unique and differing aspects, we will create contrasting shots that we can hopefully align and juxtapose to give a sense of the simultaneous deviation of the human experience.
Physical Production
Additionally, for the actual physical production, Pranava, Shay, and I can handle most of the roles ourselves. We are all familiar with all of them and through a collaborative effort can play to our strengths. Shay has chosen the role of the sound designer. Both Pranava and I are interested in being the cinematographer, but I have no problem shifting to the role of director if need be. We are planning on writing in a collaborative manner which will work well because we have multiple main characters and therefore can have multiple voices and tones displayed. Additionally, I believe that we are all planning on editing together which will work well as editing is not one of my personal strengths and so I can lean on Shay and Pranava in that regard. I was thinking about our contrasting settings being a more urban area for one character and a suburban area for the other, which I can start scouting for once our script is close to being finalized. I really interested in costuming because I'm interested in fashion and my concentration is in color within which costuming plays a big role. We will need to cast two main actors in this film to play our two main characters. I would prefer if they were male and female to add to the sense of unique experiences, but that is not a requirement. The process of finalizing the script, storyboard and production schedule will play out over the next five months or so.
Technical Planning
In terms of conceptualization, our main thematic element is that of the human experience which will provide an incredibly large target audience as it should relate to most of humanity. In terms of genre, we are hoping to tie in elements of coming of age which will comply nicely with the thematic elements. The purpose of the film will be to delineate the interconnectedness and diversity of the human experience while hopefully revealing a truth about humanity as a whole. In terms of style, I am interested in filmmakers such as Wes Anderson and Jean-Pierre Jeunet who create striking visuals through the use of dramatic angles, a disregard for the rule of thirds, and strict color schemes. I think the mood we are going for is realistic and honest portrayal of life.
For visualization, I am really interested in color and creating a color scheme for the film. This scheme will then drive my other choices for the visuals. We will have to account for costumes and lighting and shot selection in order to adhere to a specific scheme.
In terms of scheduling, we will work to adhere to the schedule that has been laid out for us.
I know that Shay is most interested in sound design, but I am interested in creating a relevant score. I am also interested in learning more about editing strategies especially in regard to the adjustment of color and lighting.
Reflection, Evaluation, & Integration of Choices:
My concentration is the use of color. In terms of strengths, I have the advantage because I can be part of the entirety of the process from the planning, to the production, to the editing. I can make sure that each step of the process goes according to the scheme that I have laid out. A weakness is the dilemma of both Pranava and I interested in cinematography. If circumstances have it that I end up having to take the role of the director, I will have less control over the image and therefore the use of color. However, as we are still establishing many of our bases, the only new choice appears to be the combination of all of our ideas and thematic elements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment